Florida has announced a ban of on-premise alcohol consumption at bars, just after the Department of Health reporter 9,000 new cases of coronavirus. This number has topped the state’s previously daily record of 5,511 set Wednesday.
Florida’s alcohol regulatory agency announced on Twitter the ban of alcohol consumption in bars, saying: “Effective immediately, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation is suspending on-premises consumption of alcohol at bars statewide.”
Gov. Ron DeSantis said during a brief that the median demographic testing positive for COVID-19 “consistently is 33, 34, 35,” adding that if the median is 33-years-old, then half of that demographic is younger.
“The community transmission is being driven by the 18-35-year-old group,” he said, as this demographic was first to head back into social settings once restaurants and bars reopened.
The move seeks to stop or prevent people from spending long periods of time in tight and packed places such as bars.
DeSantis said that he does not believe that enforcing the use of masks will help. “We’ve advised that’s something that could make an impact. At the same time, to do police and put criminal penalties on that is something that probably would backfire.”
Health Officials have made clear that older groups are more likely to suffer severe symptoms from the virus. Although young people are less likely to be symptomatic or die, they can still infect other people more vulnerable.
Vice President Pence, on the other hand, said that he doesn’t believe that the reopening of bars is linked to an increase in the number of cases.
Leave a Reply